Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Not afraid of WHITE...

We decided this morning that we were not going to fear the color white, and as Tracy whitewashed her balloon and then added an egg and "a road," she scrubbed at the surface of the board, making the wonderfully misty, foggy, ethereal texture in her delicate painting of blues and greens.  I love the way the green balloon still hovers over the left side of the piece, and her "road" pulls the whole thing together.  Before she left, we stood in front of the piece and I saw a large hand behind the ball and egg, a kind of spirit holding the clearly material things in the picture, both here and not here; the hand suggested to me something bigger than the picture plane and bigger than the material world, and I wondered if my Education for Ministry is making me think about the spiritual world a little too often!

I did try to put some ethereal qualities in my rather sturdy, straightforward coffee cup and bowl with egg, but instead I messed with the "sun" and sky and created a beautiful blue hue but wrecked the sun enough so that Tracy "read" it as a peach half, which it very well could be.  That makes me rethink the whole piece, which I had anticipated being a celebration of morning sunshine, morning coffee and sustenance, but I can certainly embrace a peach half in the sky just as easily as a sun.  It just doesn't quite resonate as much for me - at least with my newly released spiritual side that sees the spirit in everything, God lover that I am...

Tracy took a hot shower when we finished our run, and her hair was such a funny nest of curls and fuff (I made up that word, but it really did have fuff! that I had to take her picture; however, she was a little embarrassed and began to pose, which was much more interesting that the fuzzy hair photos.  At least here we get the spirit of venture - a very silly, singy, sort of play that sometimes results in sparkling art.  Today we were singing about not being afraid of using white, and the harmony was actually quite lovely there for awhile as I sang a made up rendition of some white-girl, Jewish-girl spiritual and she chimed in at just the right harmonic pitch.  I wonder if perhaps we have missed our TRUE CALLING!  La, la, la tra, la, la...


No comments:

Post a Comment